How to set up Facebook Tracking
- Before starting, make sure you register your domain with Facebook Business Manager: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/286768115176155?id=199156230960298
- Follow these instructions to create a Meta pixel: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/952192354843755?id=1205376682832142
- Copy the Pixel ID into the form.
- Enter your site’s domain - this needs to be the same domain that is registered in step one.
- Generate an access token using instructions outlined here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/marketing-api/conversions-api/get-started/
- Enter the access token into the form.
- Review the privacy terms and ensure you have permission to send data to Facebook
- Click confirm
Set up a re-marketing campaign
One way to use the conversion pixel is to re-target people who have visited the donation page but have not donated. To do this you can follow these steps:
- Set up a new campaign and select “conversions”
- Choose manual conversions campaign
- For the conversion event select “Purchase”
- Fill in the details of your campaign and when it comes to audience select create new > custom audience
- Select “Website” as your source
- Include all web visitors in the past 30 days:
- Exclude visitors who purchased:
- Add an audience name and all other campaign details and publish your ads.
Re-market based on past donations
You may also target people based on if they have donated in the past.
Follow steps 1-6 above and then when you create an audience, select include purchase event and set the time frame to 180 days (the maximum amount of time allowed).
View the success of the campaign
While a campaign is running you may want to see how it is performing. To get detailed reports to go to: https://business.facebook.com/adsmanager/reporting/manage
You can select Overall performance:
By default, this will give you:
- Reach - how many people saw your ad
- Impressions - number of times it was viewed (one person could see it multiple times)
- Clicks - how many clicked on it
- CPC - cost per click (Amount spent/Clicks)
- Amount spent - how much the ad costs
On the right, under metrics, we suggest adding:
- Purchases conversion value
This will let you see which ads are driving people to donate and how much they are donating.
Give your report a name at the top:
And click save:
You can then come back to this report to monitor the performance of your campaign.