Quick Links to:
To help your campaign succeed, you should use "Share on Facebook" and "Share on Twitter" buttons on your Appeal Pages and Thank You Pages. This will encourage your supporters to promote your appeal to their friends and followers. People are more likely to donate when someone from their close circle has asked them for help on your behalf.
Most appeal pages will see a benefit from social media momentum - we strongly recommend you add sharing buttons to all your Thank You Pages.
The new "Quick & Easy" and "Advanced" templates both come with pre-configured social sharing buttons for the newly created appeal. You do not need to amend anything except if you wanted to track a different URL for social sharing. If you are using an older template, then you will be required to insert them.
- Social Sharing buttons will target a single URL. Make sure you are happy with your Appeal Page Title and have configured any alias URL Tracking Links.
- IF YOU DUPLICATE YOUR APPEAL PAGE OR CHANGE THE URL OF YOUR PAGE WITHOUT UPDATING THE URL IN YOUR SOCIAL SHARING BUTTONS, THE SHARED LINKS WILL STOP WORKING.
There are two types of social sharing buttons that you can use.
There are two sets of social sharing buttons that come pre-configured with the new templates, one is for desktop view (left side, below the main content) and one for mobile view (below the donation form).
You must edit the buttons of both sections to make sure the changes are reflected for both desktop and mobile views.
Left side social sharing buttons (hidden on mobile)
Right side social sharing buttons (hidden on desktop)
The first step is to unhide the social sharing buttons from desktop on the right side so both sections are visible to you. Place your cursor over the section to unhide and the config icon will appear.
Click on the config icon to show the menu below and then untick "Hide tile on desktop"
You can now proceed to edit the hyperlinks of the buttons with a new URL.
- Which Appeal Page URL do you want to share?
- Get the new URL ready
- For this example, we'll use this URL: https://demo-charity.giveeasy.org/default
Follow the steps below for both social sharing buttons sections
- Click on the "Edit content icon" to edit the content of this section
- Select the button that you wish to update by clicking on the image
- Click on the link icon, see below
- Then select and copy the full URL (highlighted in yellow) from the field shown below to notepad or your favorite text editor
The red part should not be modified.
The green part is the URL of the previous appeal page which should be replaced by the new URL of the Appeal Page that you want to share on social.
- Amend the copied URL with the new URL
Based on the example above, this is what the new URL should be:
- Copy the new URL in full and paste it back into the field shown below (highlighted in yellow)
- Then click on the tick to save the changes
- Repeat the steps above to amend the hyperlink of all other social sharing buttons
- Finally, make sure to hide again the social sharing buttons from desktop on the right side (below the donation form)
- Publish your appeal to Live
We recommend not to delete the built-in Social Sharing buttons , but simply to hide them. Empty space will not be shown once the page is published.
To physically delete a social sharing button, you must:
- Open the Appeal Page Editor
- Edit the corresponding text block by clicking on the edit icon
- Click on the button that you wish to delete
- Press the delete button of your keyboard
- Save the changes by clicking on the save icon
- Publish your appeal to Live
Q: Can I use my own Facebook App ID?
A: Yes, just follow the instructions provided by Facebook
Q: Can I change the URL/Text of the Share/Tweet?